Xplore Health is a European educational programme promoted jointly by IrsiCaixa and Obra Social "la Caixa", with the collaboration of the Amgen Foundation, offering interactive multimedia resources so that secondary schools can gain an insight into the latest biomedical research and consider the bioethical implications of the research.
The programme encourages educational innovation through research-based science education (ECBI), project-based work, group dynamics and educational assessment. At the same time, it encourages interaction between students and other social actors, so that they can participate as responsible citizens in a knowledge-based society.
The project is carried out via the internet and through a network of pilot schools, research centres and science museums.
Xplore Health presentation videos
short version (1min)
extended version (5min)
Types of educational resources
conduct experiments online, following state-of-the-art research steps and using virtual laboratory instruments. See an example at: Take part in the research to find an HIV vaccine
have fun, play and learn about the latest advances in biomedical research. See an example at: Stop Malaria
Resources for reflection
compare your views with those of different scientists from around Europe
inspired by the current research lines that can be carried out at the schools, museums and research centres that collaborate with Xplore Health. See an example at: Research the HIV vaccine
Guidelines for teachers with recommendations on how to implement the Xplore Health resources in the classroom in order to promote research-based science education (ECBI). The resources are contextualised with current research lines, which deal with the challenges of everyday life. They also promote reflection on ethical, legal and social aspects and interaction with the different social actors. See an example at:
Interview a researcher working on cancer
Aims of Xplore Health
- 1 To offer an insight into current biomedicine and science education.
- 2 To promote innovation in science education through contextualisation with everyday challenges related to current research, reflection on the ethical, legal and social aspects, research-based education, collaborative learning and educational assessment.
- 3 To increase the scientific culture and allow students to take part in research projects and research-based decision making.
- 4 To inspire future researchers.
- 5 To encourage students to become participative and responsible citizens of the knowledge society.